Post image for Quick Vegan Lentil Patties

Quick Vegan Lentil Patties

February 29, 2012

in Recipes, Vegan, Vegetarian

This recipe is just what the doctor ordered if you happen to be:

1. Tired

2. Under the weather

3. Tending to under aged rugrats that are tired and under the weather

4. lacking time to cook real food due to items 1-3

5. Have only 3 ingredients in your pantry

6. Have your beloved vegan friend over for supper and suffer from items 1-5

Did I mention that there are only 3 ingredients in this recipe? Chives being ingredient number three, unless you count salt and pepper and the oil required to brush the pan. I know I don’t.

These patties are crispy, tasty, super easy to make and are gobbled by vegans and children alike.

Quick Vegan lentil patties

Ingredients:

1. 1 cup dry red lentils
2. 1/2 cup rice
3. 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped.
4. Salt and pepper to taste

Preparation:

1. Put  lentils in a bowl and cover with 1 cup of boiling water. Cover and set aside while you prepare the rice.
2. Make rice like you would make pasta, in a pot of boiling, salted water until the rice is chewy but not over cooked. Drain.
3. in a food processor combine drained lentils, rice, chives, salt and pepper and pulse to a rough, sticky texture that is easy to work with.
4. Make small, flat patties. Fry patties on an oiled pan (I use a brush and spread Canola oil on mine), on medium high heat, flipping once until golden and crispy on both sides.

Print this entry

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

Grand-maman Miche March 11, 2012 at 12:35 am

Yupee! Our favorite chef is back !
Yummy, this looks good… What did you serve it with ?
Did you try my “Ginger Meat Balls” for your cookpot?

Christine June 4, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I finally got around to making these (I bookmarked this recipe when I was nursing a 5-week-old, and only just felt able to do a fried patty dish). I added turmeric as well, because it goes so well with lentils. This is amazing, they stick together better than with egg, and I prefer the taste too. I never would have thought that vegan patties could be done.

ayallawt June 5, 2012 at 7:07 am

So glad you liked them!
They do stick together very easily and the lentil-rice combo is a great source of protein (good for breast feeding!), and is even baby-friendly due to the minimal ingredients. I like that it tastes almost like flafel. Crunchy and tasty. Thx for the feedback Christine!

almostamommy! June 15, 2012 at 2:15 am

These are so good! Took my husband and I several batches in the food processor since its so tiny but it was worth it! I have leftover mix to fry for a later time.

Pacifico August 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Looks good with very pleasant comments.
Can’t wait to try it. Lentils are my second favorite food
after split peas.
Thanks

Brandi August 18, 2012 at 2:11 am

I just made this as my first vegan dinner! It taste pretty good. Thanks so much for putting this up!

Lindsey August 30, 2012 at 11:26 am

Sorry, I know I’m being a bit dim here but am I not supposed to cook the lentils and rather just soak them? I thought all lentils had to be cooked before eating?

ayallawt September 2, 2012 at 9:42 am

Hi Lindsey,
There is no such thing as a dim question, especially when dinner is on the line!

No, in this specific recipe, soaking (and grinding) the lentils is enough to prepare them for the later frying. Try it out!

tg September 6, 2012 at 2:07 pm

All patties eaten by husband. Great success!

ayallawt September 10, 2012 at 4:25 am

Yay! Good to hear!

Naomi March 16, 2013 at 4:25 pm

This is great! Have 2 veggie kids wanting ‘Crabby Patties’ plus we are all suffering with points 1-5! These are great thank you so much! Made a huge batch and froze half! BRILLIANT!